Saturday, February 11, 2006

I Made Raw "Bread" Today!



I was so excited about the great food I had at the Go Raw Cafe in Las Vegas that I asked one of the owners how they make their awesome raw tortillas. She told me that they use vegetables and ground flax seeds, and told me to grind the seeds in a coffee grinder because a food processor doesn't do as good of a job. They mix the ground seeds with vegetables, herbs and spices and then dry it for 4 to 5 hours at 95 degrees. She said to use whatever vegetables I wanted, so when I got home I gave it a try.

Well, first I went to Target and bought a coffee grinder, then went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and got some spice jars. And then I tried my hand at making raw "bread". For the vegetables, I decided to use the "hummus" recipe that Sarinya sent me the other day. I ground almost 2 cups of flax seeds altogether for the recipe, and added grated carrot for the heck of it, along with a bit of salt. Oh, I added almost a tablespoon of olive oil to make the mixture less sticky. When I spread it on the teflex, I sprinkled water on top to keep it from sticking to the back of the spoon.

I dehydrated the mixture for about 4 hours (the house smelled great!), then peeled it from the teflex tray and put it on a mesh one to dry out the rest of the way- about 6 hours total of drying at 100 degrees. The picture above is of the bread right after I was done drying it. As you can see from the closeup, the flax seeds and carrot bits are visible.



When I lifted it off the mesh, I saw that the edges had curled up a little, but it was pliable and shiny on the bottom (from the first tray it was on). However, I noticed that it was easy to crack the edges. I don't know if it'll do that in only the thin or thick places, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow after it's been sitting for a few hours.



Since the edges were thinner, they were more cracker-like. I broke a piece off and tasted it. It was very interesting - certainly not as bad as I feared it would be. My girlfriend arrived later and tasted it and thought it was great! (I'm seeing a pattern here- she's very excited about my raw stuff and I'm more cautiously enthusiastic). We're both looking forward to trying some of it tomorrow as a wrap - that is, if it doesn't crack into tiny piece. I've placed it in the refrigerator, which may or may not have been a good idea.

So, there's the story of my first dehydrated bread!

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount