Friday, February 10, 2006

February 10- One Giant Raw Step for a Woman




Today I went back to the raw restaurant. I decided to try something completely new, so I went for the "mock salmon sushi". It was DELICIOUS! I didn't expect it to taste like salmon, and it didn't, but it did have a slight taste reminiscent of fish. That's because they use herbs and spices that you would use on fish, such as dill. I thought that was pretty clever. They serve it with nama shoyu (the brand pictured above). I still can't get over how great the sushi was. I now feel emboldened to try my own sushi again, this time with some of the stuff they put in theirs, like spiced/herbed grated carrots (really, carrot "pulp", but that sounds so unappetizing) and spiced/herbed raw yams, food-processed the same way. There were also mushrooms and avocado in the sushi- so much stuff I'm sure I've forgotten something. I took pictures with my camera phone but I forgot to upload them. I'll try to do that later.

My girlfriend had enchiladas and boy, were they delicious! They were definitely enchilada-tasting. The "bread" was soft and pliable just as a tortilla would be. This visit really blew me away. I mean, I thought my first visit to this restaurant was exciting, but this time around I learned how important herbs and spices are. I haven't used anything beyond fresh basil, garlic, salt and some pepper to add flavor to my dishes- shameful!!! I marched right outta there and bought myself some spice jars and a coffee bean grinder. I love to cook meals from different cultures, so I know about creating spice blends like berbere and garam masala- and that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to make several spice blends and then use them with grated carrots, grated yams, grated anything! I'm so excited about this. I feel like I've advanced one more step into the world of raw foods. My girlfriend even said that if I could make foods that tasty even she'd go raw!

So now my mission is set: to put together really tasty foods using herbs, spices and different flavors and textures so that even my girlfriend will go raw. She's lost 150 lbs since having gastric bypass surgery in 2004 but has been stalled with over 50 more lbs to lose (not that she looks like it). She works out now and again but doesn't eat right. It would be great to have her do this with me and to see her reap the benefits I'm getting. Tonight I'm going to gather my spice blend recipes and tomorrow we're going shopping!



TODAY'S MEALS

BREAKFAST
Yams, 0.5 cup, cubes
Avocados, California (Haas), 56 grams
Nori, 2.5g sheet, untoasted, 1 serving
Carrots, raw, 0.5 cup, chopped
Shiitake Mushrooms, 0.5 cup pieces
Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp
Almonds, 0.2 cup, ground
Banana, fresh, 1 extra small (less than 6" long)
Raspberries, 1 cup
Flax Seed Crisps, RAW, Mauk Family Farms, 1 oz
Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
Dates, 1 date

LUNCH (none)
None

DINNER (Fruit salad)
Banana, fresh, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
Mangos, 1 fruit without refuse
Honeydew Melon, 0.33 melon (5-1/4" dia)
Pecans, 1 oz (20 halves)



CALORIES 1,322 CARBS 190 FAT 63 PROTEIN 24 (The fat's high because of the restaurant visit)

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount