Friday, February 03, 2006

February 3rd - Things are Lookin' Good!


Got some new groceries today, including pecans, mejool dates, a young coconut, raw wheat berries, flax seeds, a turnip, zucchini, and frozen blackberries. I'll be getting raw honey later this week. I read that I can put the turnip in the food processor to make it like rice for raw sushi. I've never eaten a turnip before in my life, let alone a raw one! I hope I like it, but I'm not counting on it.

I decided that smoothies are a great way to get more fruit into my diet, so that's what the blackberries are for. I know some frozen fruits cannot be technically called "raw" because they are flash-heated. I don't know if these blackberries were heated, but I'm not going to worry about it.

I ended up buying a Larabar at Trader Joe's because I hadn''t eaten lunch and was hungry. It was called "choco mole" or something like that. It didn't taste all that much different from the one pictured above, but it was ok. So far in the past couple of weeks I've been happy about weaning myself off of hummus and adding new things to my diet a little at a time. I haven't been tempted at all to go off raw foods. I've also gotten into the habit of making fresh OJ (or TJ, as the case may be- tangerines!) every morning and it's great. I was never a big fan of citrus fruit, but the orange juice is great, and also works in my smoothies.

I snuck a peek at the scale to day and saw I'm down another pound. One thing I've noticed is that I do not go up and down in weight during the week when I'm eating raw. On SAD I was always bouncing up and down over the course of the week, so it seemed like a crap shoot whether I was going to lose any weight at all that week. I can always trust the scale now! I do gain weight during the course of a day; I might weigh 4 or 5 lbs more in the late afternoon than first thing in the morning, but of course that is normal and is the reason it is useless to weigh yourself more than once a day. For me, it is also useless to weigh myself every day, although it's been fun to do that so far. It's always fun when you're losing weight without really trying! My official weigh-in day remains Sundays, though. I hope to lose no less than 2 lbs a week, average.

I didn't count calories today, but here they are again, since Sparkpeople tallies them up so neatly. I am very happy that I ate without letting the calories influence me. I am consciously eating a bit less fat these days, though, and that is keeping the calories low. I eat only about 2 oz. of avocado at a time, for example. I used to eat 1/2 an avocado. When evening arrives and I'm hungry, I know I can afford nuts because I haven't had a lot of fat. I think the fat habit is one I'll be keeping for a while because the jury is still out as to whether plant fats are ok in high amounts. I guess I'll know how it'll work for me when I get my medical checkup.



Today's Meals



BREAKFAST (Sushi)
Tangerine Juice, 4 fl oz
Scallions, raw, 0.33 medium (4-1/8" long)
Spinach, fresh, 10 leaf
Kikkoman Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp
Baby Carrots, raw, 1 large
Mushrooms, fresh, 0.5 cup pieces
Orange Juice, 1 cup
Nori, Raw. 2 sheets

LUNCH (Large smoothie)
Banana, fresh, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
Mangos, 0.5 fruit without refuse
Raspberries, 1.5 cup
Orange Juice, 4 fl oz

DINNER (Salad)
Pecans, 0.13 cup, chopped
Spinach, fresh, 3 cup
Sweet Corn, Fresh, 1 ear, medium (6-3/4" to 7-1/2" long) yields
Avocados, California (Haas), 0.2 fruit without skin and seeds
Lime Juice, 1 fl oz

SNACKS
Lärabar Chocolate Coconut Chew, 1 serving
1/2 Banana

CALORIES 1,161 CARBS 203 FAT 34 PROTEIN 31

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount