Monday, February 06, 2006

February 6th- Fun with Appliances




I've been using my appliances to add new foods to my weekly menu. Using the blender, I've enjoyed making smoothies. My favorite recipe is 1 small mango or 1/2 a large one, a small or medium sized banana, 1 cup or so of berries, the juice of one tangerine, and water. This makes a deliciously healthy and beautiful smoothie that is just as much a pleasure to look at as to drink. Using the food processor I have chopped up cacao nibs into near powder and found that it was fine in flavoring smoothies. I processed an ounce of cacao nibs and only needed about two teaspoons of the resulting powder for the smoothie.

The dehydrator has been loads of fun. Remember the smoothie I made this past weekend with the young coconut (yuck), banana, dates, agave nectar and mango? Well, I didn't throw all of it away- I put some in the fridge in order to try making a fruit rollup out of it. The dehydrator is running right now and I'll be taste testing the results tomorrow. By the way, a thank you to those who schooled me a bit about the coconut. It was suggested that coconut water is great in soups. I'll bet it is! I have yet to try raw soups yet, so there's something for my future menu.

The only appliance I haven't made use of is the "saladacco", which makes those fun shapes out of vegetables (like the long apple strings I made during my first test). If anyone has suggestions for that appliance, please let me know. I plan to run some zucchini through it. I'm also thinking of doing the apple that way again and then dehydrating it for an interesting-looking snack. Another project will be making "bread".

Today's Foods

BREAKFAST (SALAD)
Lime Juice, 1 fl oz
Taboule Salad, 4 tbsp
Basil, 3 leaves
Blue Cheese, 2 oz
Spinach, fresh, 3 cup
Red Ripe Tomatoes, 1

LUNCH(SANDWICH at school)
Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread, 2
Hummus, 1/4 cup
Avocados, California (Haas), 1 oz
Taboule Salad, 4 tbsp

DINNER (SUSHI)
Sushi Nori, Raw Untoasted, 1 sheet, 1 serving
Scallions, 1
Spinach, fresh, 7 leaf
Kikkoman Soy Sauce, 1 tbsp
Taboule Salad, 4 tbsp
Turnips, 1 slice
Ginger Root, 1 grams

SNACKS (SMOOTHIE)
Banana, fresh, 1 large (8" to 8-7/8" long)
Mangos, 0.5 fruit without refuse
Blackberries 3/4 cupt, frozen

Vitamins
Pecans, 1 oz (20 halves)

CALORIES 1,234 CARBS 146 FAT 56 PROTEIN 46

4 comments:

sibyl3 said...

I've heard that squash is great as pasta in the spiral slicer. I really want to get one, but have no idea where I can buy one unless I get it online. If anyone can suggest a store in Toronto, I'd love to know it!

Anonymous said...

Allison,
You should use the saladacco on the zucchini and make Alissa Cohen's tomato sauce for "raw spaghetti" - YUM! The recipe is:

2 large tomatoes
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
1/4 fresh basil
1 clove garlic
6 dates
dash of olive oil

Soak the sun dried tomatoes until soft. Blend in food processor, the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and garlic until well blended . Add the dates and olive oil and blend until smooth.

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison, another terrific thing to try in the saladacco thing is butternut squash and try this alt. 'sauce'
w/butternutsquash--this dish hums(!) ps: A., love your blog/website.
adapted from Rick Dina's recipe @ living-foods.com Raw Spaghetti

spiralize butternut squash in saladacco or similar machine.  arrange on plate similar to pasta. 

pasta sauce

10-12 “sundried” tomatoes, allow to soak for several minutes in warm water to soften.
1 large fresh tomato
1 large red pepper
1-2 stalks of celery
1 clove garlic
(4-5 fresh basil leaves)
blend all of the sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor.  add the soaked sundried tomatoes last, a few at a time. (its ok to skip sundried tom. too)

Pour nicely over the butternut “pasta”.   Some fresh curly parsley sprinkled over the top adds a nice touch! 

other options
make a sauce of raw tahini, lime juice, and a little water to drizzle on the top for extra taste and presentation.

Anonymous said...

plus Alison,
your website is fabulous!
thank you!!

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount