Wednesday, February 01, 2006

February 1st- The first day of my second month on raw foods


Today worked out pretty well. I had a nice big salad for breakfast and even though I measured everything, I didn't worry about the calories. I already know that a salad with all those things in it is between 300 to 400 calories, so it wasn't like I was truly hiding info from myself, but I didn't restrict what I put on my salad due to calories; instead, I put on it what I had a taste for, which included nuts, a bit of raw cheese I had left over, AND avocado. Three fats all in one meal- but in small amounts. That's all I needed, really. I wanted the breakfast to be a bit rich in order to carry me for much of the day because today I would be at the university for 10 hours.

I took a Gopal wrap (Italian- can't say I liked it. The Mexican one tasted better to me), which I ate right after the hummus and taboule, which I'd packed in an 8 oz container. I didn't want the carrots- they really aren't my favorite snack, but they were there in case I needed them. I had my dried apples during my evening class. I drank water throughout the day. When I got home I really wasn't very hungry, so I figured I'd eat light and just have a honeydew melon. OK, so here's when things went a bit awry- I tallied up my meals for the day and then looked at the calories, since I was done eating. It bothered me that it was below 1000 again, so I decided to eat the whole honeydew!! I was influenced by the numbers again. I definitely had an appetite for the melon but I just wasn't hungry enough to eat more than 3/4 of it, so that's where I stopped.

I must say that it's great to actually be satisfied with a meal rather than too full to continue eating it. This is a very new thing for me, since in the past I would know I was full by the fact that my stomach hurt or I literally couldn't stuff any more into my mouth. Full was always a physical feeling stemming from an overpacked stomach. Now, though, I know to stop eating because I don't need any more. My appetite has been satisfied. My hunger has been allayed. It's almost like a light bulb coming on- or one of Oprah's a-ha moments: So that's what being "full" is supposed to feel like. It's not supposed to hurt! I didn't realize until now that often eating involved pain (or nausea!). You'd think that if eating was so unpleasant I would've stopped altogether, right? Well, that's the craziness of addiction and compulsiveness; you do things that hurt and you can't stop and you feel like a nut. Thanks to eating raw, I have NO pain - well, no pain since the stitch in my side waaaay back near the beginning of the month from all that fiber! I can honestly say that eating is a pleasant, non-anxious experience. Now, if I can just stop obsessing over calories, the aftermath of eating will be pleasant also!



TODAY'S MEALS

BREAKFAST (Salad)
Spinach, fresh, 3 cup
Sweet Corn, Fresh, 1 ear, medium
Avocados 2 oz
Taboule Salad, 3 tbsp
Whole Foods Raw Nuts/Seeds Mix 1 tbs
Orange Juice, 1 cup
Vitamins


LUNCH
Baba Roasted Garlic Hummus 1/2 cup
Taboule Salad 1/2 c
Gopal's Nori Wrapped Power Wrap (Italian)

DINNER
3/4 honeydew melon


SNACKS
1 apple, dried

Calories 1,125 Carbs 201 Fat 39 Protein 34

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount