Sunday, January 29, 2006

Your Favorite Raw "Uncook" Books

OK, I have put together a list of books and favorite recipes that I've been told about thus far. This is in no particular order. Please feel free to add to this list. If you have a favorite recipe from the book you can add that, too.

  • Raw: The Uncook Book, by Juliano

  • The Raw Gourmet, by Nomi Shannon

  • Sent in by Tommie: Instant Raw Sensations by Frederic Patenaude
    Tommie is into the 8-1-1 style of raw eating (maybe Tommie and others who are doing 811 can write in about that) and says that Patenaude's book comes the closest to that style.
    Favorite recipe: "Best Non-Fat Mango Dressing". Tommie says "It is really yummy if you can get a really good mango and a really good tomato. I make it with lime juice instead of vinegar. I could eat it as a soup instead of using it for dressing. It's that good! When I got the book, I also got a booklet that Frederic put together called The Best Foods on the Planet. It has been an invaluable tool to teach me how many calories, etc., that I need as a raw foodist"

  • Amber also says she likes the book Instant Raw Sensations. "I love many of the recipes, especially the smoothies".

  • Amber also recommends Green for Life, by Victoria Boutenko, saying, "I think it is the best raw food book I have ever read. EVER. After reading around 100 nutrition and raw food books, I think this one is the most important."

  • SqueakyClean recommends Nourishing Traditions, even though it is not a raw book. However, Squeaky made a great carrot, pineapple raisin salad from that book: "I grate about 4-5 carrots, finely chop about 2 cups of fresh ripe pineapple, add around 1/2 cup organic raisins, and about 1/2 cup or a little more of a dressing I make by mixing 2 tsp. dijon mustard, 1 Tbl. raw apple cider vinegar, then stirring and gradually adding about 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil. Mix all. Refrigerate at least one hour, then toss again and eat. YUM. Will last a day or two in the refrigerator."

  • Ren recommends several books: Complete Book of Raw Food; Recipes from God's Garden by Rhonda Malkmus; and a book by Rhio - I think she might be referring to Hooked on Raw (please correct me if I'm wrong, Ren).

    I bought Raw: The Uncook Book the other day. It is full of beautiful photographs. I wil be looking at the books you all recommend as well. Ren suggests going to the library for uncook books, which is a good idea.

    Thanks everyone, and keep the suggestions coming!

  • 0 comments:

    FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

    Tags

    FeedBurner FeedCount