Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Jan. 18 Day 18 Eating Raw


Running out of food makes you very creative, which can be a good thing. Yesterday I had tried to make a raw Waldorf salad using tahini for the dressing. Although It wasn't too bad, it still had the taste of a desperation meal. I tried again today by making a fruit salad for lunch using apple, mango (the smaller kind I don't like), grapes and some tangerine juice. I grated cinnamon over it. Today's fruit juice "dressing" was much better than yesterday's tahini-based one, but my brain still rebelled because my favorite fruit salads have berries, grapes, watermelon and large, juicy mango, not dry stuff like apples. When I first started eating the salad I was totally disinterested in it, but after two bites my tastebuds totally perked up. It's very strange when my tastebuds enjoy something that my mind rebels against! Maybe that was a sign that my body was benefitting from the the meal. Unfortunately, applea often give me a stomach ache, and that's what I'm suffering from right now.

I weighed myself this morning and discovered I've lost 20 lbs!!! This absolutely amazing to me. I've never lost so much weight in such a short amount of time. Not only that, but I've had none of the guilty feelings I used to have when trying to lose weight in the past. When losing weight in the past, I used to overeat the foods I really liked, and then a few days before weigh-in I would practically starve myself and work out extra hard in order to lose the weight I knew I had regained. The day of weigh-in- and often the day after- I would "treat" myself with fattening foods like hot fudge sundaes or fast food. The most extreme of my binge/starve routine caused me to gain 9 lbs in one week and then lose 9 lbs the following week. I really tortured myself in those days! Although I'm still facing challenges in getting used to a life of raw foods, those challenges don't involve shame, anxiety or depression. It's almost like a dream! Now, today is not my official weigh-in day, so we'll see what the true verdict is on Sunday. But I'm excited!!


TODAYS MEALS

BREAKFAST
Organic Raw Black Sesame Tahini (Living Tree), 2 tbsp
Flax Seed Crisps, RAW, Mauk Family Farms, 0.75 oz

LUNCH
Apples, fresh, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
Grapes, 1 cup, seedless
Mangos, 1 fruit without refuse
Tangerine Juice, 4 fl oz

DINNER
Taboule Salad, 2 tbsp
Flax Seed Crisps, RAW, Mauk Family Farms, 0.5 oz
Avocados, California (Haas), 0.33 fruit without skin and seeds
Baba Roasted Garlic Hummus, 5 tbsp

SNACK
Organic Raw Black Sesame Tahini (Living Tree), 1.5 tbsp
Flax Seed Crisps, RAW, Mauk Family Farms, 0.75 oz
Pine nuts, 1 tbsp
Banana, 1 large

Calories 1,325 Carbs 177 Protein 47 Fat 30
1

1 comments:

.: jennifer :. said...

Hey!! I found your blog through your comment on my blog - thanks!!

Thanks for sharing your creative waldorf salad experiemtn - I have been looking for new ways to use tahini. I'm not a big fan of apples, either, unless they are juiced with a bit of ginger. Raw fuji apples are probably the only ones I ever really eat, or maybe granny smith but only if they are totally fresh, tangy, and juicy, sometimes granny smith can be so dry and blech.

Congrats on the weight loss! Isn't it crazy how you start to think different once you start eating better! I used to "treat" myself, too, with fattening sugary junk foods... now when i want to treat myself i get excited about trying a new raw recipe that i haven't tried before! :)

Hey - I just wanted to ask you, too - have you looked around for raw food catering type places near you? I am so excited because I just discovered these two girls here - the Raw-Raw Girls - who prepare awesome raw meals and you can place weekly orders and then have them delivered to you every monday. The prices aren't bad, either... I thought they would be totally expensive but actually for some things it is less than what I would pay for a SAD meal or item. Anyway - just thought I'd toss that idea out there... sometimes I find it hard to whip up a raw meal when we're busy and on-the-go (i have two kids that keep me going) so i'm really looking forward to having some of the raw meals already prepared for us for the same price as it would be if we ordered a SAD pizza from pizza hut or went to subway or whatever, and this food is better for us and tastier! :)

good luck with everything, and it's nice to hear from another nice lady interested in raw and vegan foods! :)

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount