Saturday, January 21, 2006

Jan 21, Day 21 eating raw!



I just ate my first homemade sushi since starting my new raw life! I've made it before, but with rice, of course. This time I decided to try it with the items I've been using in my mostly-raw diet. I soaked bulgar and used that for rice. I used untoasted Nori sheets (probably not raw but I couldn't find any labeled "raw"). I added scallions, some portabello mushroom, avocado and carrot, along with a few cilantro sprigs. I didn't have any equipment so I just rolled it up the best I could and sliced it with a wet, serrated knife. I made three rolls altogether. Then I realized I'd jumped the gun, not having purchased the nama shoyu (raw soy sauce) yet. My sushi tasted all right, but I really wanted to taste it with soy sauce, so I used about 1/2 tablespoon of "lite" soy sauce that I already had, pouring it into the middle of my plate and dipping the individual pieces into it. it was pretty good, actually!

Now, I must admit that my stomach hurt for about 1/2 hour afterwards. I'm not sure if I just ate too much or if one or more of the items didn't agree with me. I'm very happy to have had a different meal with a new taste! I love hummus and taboule, but this woman cannot live on those alone. My meals for the day so far are listed below.

Tomorrow is my weigh-in and I'm so excited! I remember all weigh-ins in the past as being so full of anxiety. I was always ready to blame myself for any weight gain- I ate too much of this or I shouldn't have eaten that. I don't feel that way these days. If I gain weight or don't lose a pound, I can accept it as something my body is just doing right now. I don't feel the need to judge the event as good or bad. (Of course it's easy to say that having lost almost 20 lbs in less than a month. Let's see if the old feelings of blame and self-torture come back if weeks go by with no weight loss!)

TODAY'S MEALS


BREAKFAST
Nature Made Calcium Citrate, 1
Centrum with Lycopene, 1
Banana, fresh, 1 large
Grapes, 1 cup, seedless
Mangos, 1
Orange Juice, 4 fl oz (fresh squeezed, of course!)

LUNCH
3 Nori sheets, untoasted
Bulgar ½ c
Scallions, raw, 2 medium
Cucumber (peeled), 2 stick (4" long)
Baby Carrots, raw, .75 mediu
Avocados, California (Haas) ½
Portobello Mushroom, 1 oz.
Kikkoman Lite Soy Sauce, ½ tbsp

DINNER
Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread, 2
Hummus ¼ c
Taboule Salad, 8 tbsp
Spinach, fresh, 5 leaf

SNACK
1 mango

Calories 1,203 Carbs 217 Fat 28 Protein 33

I'm noticing that because I need less hummus and taboule to feel satisifed, and because I'm limiting my avocados, I'm having problems getting much over 1,300 calories a day. Sometimes I eat late in the evening just to get over 1,200. In my SAD days, 1,200 was the recommended number of calories for weight loss. All I can do is assume that it's still calories in vs. calories out, regardless of the source of calories, which should mean that 1,200 calories should work out fine for an eventual average of no more than 2 lbs a week weight loss. But I won't be upset if I lose more quickly than that!

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount