Monday, January 23, 2006

Jan. 23, Day 23 - Today I Tried 3 Kinds of Raw Nuts



Well, my meager funds have finally arrived! I didn't really have time to shop so I just bought some nuts today at Wild Oats. Their selection of raw nuts is much wider than Whole Foods (but they didn't carry the nama shoyu I was hoping to find). I bought raw walnuts, raw almonds and raw cashews. I know the controversy over whether these nuts are truly raw and frankly, all the contradictions and differing definitions among raw foodists are becoming very annoying to me. I'm really happy that it's not necessary to me to be 100% raw! That way if I discover later that something I'm liking isn't raw I won't have a hissy fit over it. It's not like something has no nutrients at all just because it isn't raw.

The raw almonds were a bit softer than I thought they'd be, but they were fine (I'm not a big almond fan). The walnuts tasted and looked the same as all walnuts I've seen. The raw cashews were very pale and naked-looking. I was afraid I'd be disappointed by their taste but they were nice- a tad sweet and buttery. They'll make a good pate when I get that blender this week! By the way, if anyone knows what kind of nuts those are in the photograph above, would you tell me? I would have bought a few but I figured I'd better find out what they are first. In fact, there are a couple of other nut photos in this blog. If anyone can identify those, too, I'd be grateful! I take these photos when I'm at the store, but the bins aren't always labeled.

Today was my first day of classes where I was satisfied with what I took with me. I took a hummus sandwich, a banana and a 1.5 oz. box of raisins, plus 16 oz. of water. The raisins were the only things I didn't eat. The meal/snack sustained me quite well. I wasn't starving when I ate it and I wasn't starving for hours afterwards. I ate in an open location so the garlic and banana aromas didn't annoy anyone! Now that I have nuts I will made a nuts/raisins/goji berries mix. (Note to Ren: should I try cacao nibs in the mix??)

For dinner I made sushi and tried soaked quinoa rather than soaked bulgar. BIG MISTAKE. It even SMELLED bad to me! Quinoa is very high in calories, I learned (after the fact, of course). I was shocked! It appears to be a good source of protein, too. I've listed the calories below in the dinner category. Maybe if I find a recipe for quinoa I'll buy more. For now, it's goes with the jicama, cacao nibs and cauliflower as Foods I Don't Like.

Oh- speaking of cacao nibs, my girlfriend ground up a few and mixed them in with her coffee grounds. That was my idea, I'll have you know. She said she got a nice hint of chocolate, but that she'd have to add a lot more to make it truly influential. Unfortunately, she doesn't think it's worth 9.99 to add mocha flavor to her coffee. Oh, well, I'm getting the blender and will see what I can do with the nibs. (That sounds funny- "the nibs").

Before I sign off- thanks to those who have been replying with cacao ideas and uncookbook info at either blog site. Now that I have money I'm really ready to buy a book!


BREAKFAST
Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread, 2
Hummus, 0.25 cup
Romaine Lettuce (salad), 1 leaf
Avocados, California (Haas), 56 grams
Taboule Salad, 4 tbsp
Centrum with Lycopene, 1
Nature Made Calcium Citrate, 1

LUNCH (I took this sandwich to school and ate it during a break)
Taboule Salad, 3 tbsp
Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread, 2
Hummus, 0.25 cup
Romaine Lettuce (salad), 1 leaf

DINNER (SUSHI)
Sushi Nori, Raw Untoasted, 1 sheet, 4
Avocados, California (Haas), 0.7 fruit
Cucumber (peeled), 3 stick (4" long)
Baby Carrots, raw, 1 medium
Quinoa, 0.2 cup ------> This had 127 calories for less than 1/4 cup!!
Soy Sauce, 0.33 tbsp
Spinach, fresh, 15 leaf

SNACKS
Walnuts, 0.5 oz
Cashew Nuts .5 oz
Almonds, 3
Mango
Banana, fresh, 1 large I ate this at school during a break
CALORIES 1,589 CARBS 213 FAT 66 PROTEIN 54

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The nuts in your picture look like Brazil Nuts. Good luck!

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount