Monday, January 02, 2006

January First Raw Food Shopping Expedition


Today I bought the foods I planned to eat on my first week going raw. I spent $48, but $8.50 of that was a splurge for extra virgin olive oil “first cold press”. I am not going to be too strict about the raw thing at first, but I’ll be mostly raw this week (except for today because I had my annual good-luck blackeyed peas and cornbread for the new year!):

-alfalfa sprouts
-5 small avocados
-1 small head of cabbage
- 1 bunch of cilantro
-2 medium sized cucumbers
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 jicama
-4 limes
-extra virgin, first cold pressed olive oil
- 1 bag pine nuts (probably not raw, but I didn’t know what to look for)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 red onions
- Bob’s Red Mill bulgar
-1 head cauliflower
-a slew of tomatoes
-8 oranges,
-a bag of apples
-a small watermelon
- a “young” coconut
-1 pomegranate
-sun-dried tomatoes
-garlic

I made tabouleh with bulgar, parsley, tomatoes, cucumber, garlic a bit of red onion (forgot to buy scallions) and a little lime juice. I will eat this with hummus I already have. I’ll also make salsa. I’ve used both of these as salad dressings in the past, and since I’ll be eating a lot of salads (I already have a Costco container of organic mesclun), both the salsa and taboule will be put to good use this week. I plan to make fresh squeezed orange juice- not much, but enough for a bit of juice each morning.

1 comments:

.: jennifer :. said...

Hey!! I did the blackeyed peas on new years, too. It's a southern thing. I currently live in Oregon where it's hard to even find balckeyed peas, but I'm a Texas girl and I just gotta have them. They are spirit food for me. I will never eat 100% raw because while the raw foods are for my body, I need certain "soul foods" or "spirit foods" for my spirit. Things like soup, tea, and blackeyed peas! :)

That tabouleh looks so good! Oh man!! I LOVE tabouleh. I have heard people talking on the raw food talk forum that bulgar is not raw. I don't know why, maybe it is heated somehow during processing. I still use bulgar, though. They have some other grains they suggest using, but I'm where you are at it seems right now... I'm not stressing myself out trying to be 100%. The point is to eat healthy and include lots of fruits and veggies and wholesome goodness into our daily lives. Bulgar for tabouleh is what I know and like, so bulgar is what I'll use for now! :)

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount