Sunday, March 19, 2006

Beginning My 11th Week Raw, 45 lbs Down!!

(Photo: soaked wheatberries on a colander)

Today was one of those days where I sat in front of the computer for hours straight, so of course I didn't drag myself away to make sure I ate. However, since I had an entire avocado, I managed to almost make my point requirements (31 now, y'all!).

I did make the living bread today, though. Right now it is dehydrating, and should be ready by 7 a.m. tomorrow. There is no exact timing when it comes to dehydrating foods. I adapted Juliano's rye bread recipe on page 61 of his book. I didn't have caraway seeds so I used cardamon, since the bread has carob powder in it. I figured they'd complement one another. Can you tell I'm not a "real" cook? But that's all right- no one learns anything without being willing to experiment. I will document what I did in a separate upcoming post, but for now I'll say that making the bread wasn't difficult at all.

The main problem I had was the unexpected tinyness of the loaf. It is soooo small- the size of a beefy hand, really. All those days of waiting for this tiny serving? The recipe calls for the "dough" to be 1 and 1/2 inches high- well, my dehydrator barely accomodates that height! I had to squish it down a tad, and instead of putting the lid directly over it, I decided I'd better put one of the mesh trays over it and then the lid, that way the warm air can circulate around and over it. If you have read my earlier posts, you may recall that I have the American Harvester dehydrator that has several trays. I only stack the trays I use, so the dehydrator can be very short when I dehydrate only one thing. (In the picture below you can see I am using two trays). Juliano calls for the bread to dehydrate at 90 degrees F, but I can only go down to 95 degrees.

OK- on to today's meals!


BREAKFAST
(None)

LUNCH (Salad)
Spinach
Avocado
corn
hummus
taboule
pecans
olive oil

DINNER (Salad)
Spinach
hummus
avocado
salsa

TOTAL POINTS: 28

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount