Thursday, March 23, 2006

Thursday, March, 23


(Photo: my yummy restaurant salad)

Today when my girlfriend picked me up from the university she said, "you look radiant! Your skin is glowing." I had no idea what she was talking about, because I certainly didn't feel "radiant." She kept on, so I put my hand to my face and I was shocked- the rough, dark patches I've had on either cheek for years have almost disappeared! I couldn't believe it. I felt my cheeks all the way home. :-) I really have to chalk this up to my raw food diet- I have done nothing different to my skin than I've done for the past 5 or more years. I am really happy about this positive change, especially since it was unexpected.

On the other hand, my hair has thinned considerably around the crown of my head. I don't want to blame the raw foods totally because I've worn locs for years and have had a terrible habit of basically ripping my hair apart when I was stressed and wanted to undo them. However, I never noticed any obvious thinning over the years I did this, so I am, unfortunately, inclined to believe my raw diet is to blame. So, what to do? I did a little internet investigation.
I can't be sure what exactly in (or missing from) my diet would be causing the hair loss, but some raw food sites suggest I try the following:
  • Adding protein- brewer's yeast, almonds, and seeds: sesame, pumpkin, sunflower.
  • Eating dulse or sea kelp, quinoa and spirulina.
  • Drinking vegetable juice at least once a day.
  • Taking vitamin A, B and E.
  • Taking biotin and niacin.
  • Eating greens
Since my protein intake has been low, I will work on this from that angle first, maybe trading some of my avocado for the seeds, and sprinkling brewer's yeast on my sandwiches and salads. Adding greens can't be bad, either. In the meantime, I've become good friends with hats!

BREAKFAST
Smoothie

LUNCH
Hummus sandwich

DINNER
Big restaurant salad (could only eat about 1/3 of it)

TOTAL POINTS: 28

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount