Friday, March 10, 2006

March 10, 2006

(Photo: Enoki mushrooms)

ENOKI: these mushrooms have a mild flavor, and fresh ones have a bit of a snap when you bite into them. Before using, you should cut the base off the bunch and discard it, then rinse the mushrooms. According to Wikipedia, stores usually sell enokis that have been cultivated in bottles, so you can often see the bottle imprint around the bottom of them. I've used enoki in sushi because they are mild-tasting and very attractive, but I think I will try chopping them up so that they mimic rice.


Life is cruel. I got on the scale this morning and I was at 299.5! I ran and got my camera so I could record this magic moment. When I got back on the scale: 300.5. ??? Got off and got back on. 300.5. Picked up the scale and turned it in the other direction. 300.5. Adjusted the little dial to ensure it was exactly on 0. 300.5. Used the telephoto on the camera so I could really see the number- maybe it's my eyes. 300.5. I gave up.

But hey- I'm on Spring break! That makes everything better. I ate a nice huge brunch (details below) and enjoyed each of the 46 grams of fat it contained. Yum! I had 2 delicious cups of fresh orange juice along with it. I used "juice oranges" I bought at Whole Foods last night but was disappointed in the amount of juice they actually yielded. Juice oranges indeed! Generally I can get close to 4 oz. of juice from a medium sized orange, but not frome these little misers. Luckily, I bought a variety of oranges and tangerines. The biggest orange I got netted me a full 8 - I was very impressed.

For dinner I made sushi and used chopped enoki mushrooms for rice. It worked really well! A bag of these mushrooms costs 99 cents and I used two bags for three rolls. Now, if I could only think of some tasty ingredients to go in there besides scallions and avocados... my bordom with my homemade sushi is the bland taste.

TODAY'S MEALS

BREAKFAST (big salad)
2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
Salad:
Spinach leaves
taboule
garlic
scallions
tomato
cucumber
pecans
avocado
olive oil
19 points

LUNCH
(none)

DINNER
Sushi
7 points

SNACKS
Mango
2 points

TOTAL POINTS 28

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount