Sunday, July 09, 2006

Trying to Create the "Perfect" Nutritional Menu

TODAY'S MEALS
I spent much of today out of the house, which posed a problem for my diet. I had protein in the morning: about 2 oz. of fish, 2 oz. of cheese curds (from Wild Oats), Ezekiel bread and dried fruit. Yes, a motley grouping of foods it was, but that was breakfast. While out today I got very hungry and thirsty, so I ate a small fruit salad from a fast food restaurant, and later had a tasteless iceberg lettuce-based salad from another fast food place. Drank a lot of water, too! When I got home I had more fish, Ezekiel bread and vegetables. And then- horrors! I realized I hadn't had my molasses for my hair! So I quickly consumed three tablespoons of blackstrap molasses straight from the bottle (icky and yummy at the same time- can't explain). I really need to figure out how to eat that stuff. The hot water idea doesn't do it for me.

MENU PROJECT
I thought it would be interesting to put together a day's menu of food items that together would provide at least the minimum RDA of vitamins and other nutrients. I want to avoid taking vitamins if I can, and one would think that getting one's daily supply of nutrients from real food shouldn't be all that difficult. So far I've put together the following list of foods I would most enjoy eating, followed by the major nutrient I'm getting from them. (I do know that each of these foods offer more than the nutrient I am listing, of course).

Molasses, blackstrap, 3 tbsp (iron and other minerals)
Figs, dried, 3 (calcium, fiber, magnesium)
Banana 1 (potassium)
Nuts such as Walnuts and almonds (Vitamin E, healthy fats))
Avocado (healthy fats)
Seaweed, kelp, 4 tbsp (1/8 cup) (B12 and more)
Ezekiel Bread 4 slices (Fiber, B vitamins, protein)
Olive Oil, 1 tbsp (healthy fats)
Romaine Lettuce (salad) - (vitamins)
Red Ripe Tomatoes 1 (vitamins)
Mozzarella Cheese, part skim milk, 2 oz (protein, calcium)
Garlic, 1 clove (allicin- good for your immune system!)
Atlantic Salmon (fish), 3 oz (protein, healthy fats)
Dried Mangos, 2 oz (vitamin C and other vitamins)
Kombucha Mystic Mango (Synergy), (B vitamins, pro-biotics)

These are excellent sources of various nutritional elements, but it is incomplete. I really haven't figured out the appropriate proportions yet, although I already know I want less fat and more protein. I also need more minerals and some sources of Vitamin D. Sparkpeople recorded no vitamin D even though I had fish and cheese, which supposedly contains it. Must be trace amounts.

PROBLEM WITH MY NEW DIET?
I noticed today that the roughness in my facial complexion (cheek area) has reappeared. It's not nearly as bad as it once was, but I wonder if the fish and/or cheese is causing this. I just started with the molasses so I doubt if that is it, but heaven knows I've been wrong before. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

GOOD NEWS
Three things:

  1. I made it to the 260s FINALLY!!! I got on the scale twice just to make sure. Now, who knows what the scale will say tomorrow, but I was happy as a clam this morning.
  2. I am now down to a size 22w. I bought a much-needed pair of pants that size today.
  3. I finally joined the gym. I have been beating around the bush with this issue, but finally I decided that I just need to spend the money and get fit. I signed up for the option of monthly body fat testing and a monthly visit with a trainer (both part of the special they were running for new members). I plan to use the treadmill and racquetball court the most, and as I lose weight, I'll add the elliptical trainer.
______________________________
P.S. Here is a website I am using as a resource for my menu project. You might want to check it out if you haven't discovered it already: The World's Healthiest Foods

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount