Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Day Two of the New Plan- Did I Do Better Than Yesterday?

I didn't do too badly today. I gulped down a couple of tablespoons of molasses before leaving for work. I skipped the nuts today, sticking to dried fruit for breakfast: a mix of prunes, figs, apples, nectarines, and apricots. For lunch I had pretty much the same foods as yesterday, except I added 2 ounces of fish. Dinner was a repeat of lunch, but with only 1 oz. of fish, and with the third tablespoon of molasses thrown in. In the evening I added two tablespoons of dulse flakes to a snack of taboule to get more minerals and B 12 in.

By the way, I was ill much of the day due to eating those prunes. I know they are supposed to help "clean you out" due to their high fiber content, but I was in agony after eating only three of them. I guess that along with the fiber I got from the other fruit, those prunes sent me over the top. I didn't think I was going to make it through my class today because of all the pain. I was much better by dinnertime, but I'm still not back to normal.

In some ways today was a nutritional improvement over yesterday. In other ways, not so good. I had fewer calories and fat due to avoiding the nuts. But I was surprised to have achieved 110 grams of protein (too much!). I also had too much sodium again. Lastly, most of the nutrients I didn't get enough of yesterday I also didn't get enough of today.

How to improve? Immediate ideas: I would try removing the cheese to lower the protein, sodium and fat; adding kombucha to increase the B vitamins; increasing the dulse flakes to increase my B12 even more; adding greens for the folate, and finding better food sources for zinc, folate, D and E that aren't high in fat and protein.

Calories 1,797 Carbs 190 Fats 78 Protein 110

0 comments:

FIVE MOST RECENT COMMENTS

Tags

FeedBurner FeedCount